Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mother's Day

So, tomorrow will be my first Mother's Day without mine. I have a friend whose Mom died about 10 years ago. She said she hated Mother's Day and wished it would be removed from the calendar. She felt that way until one Mother's Day she realized that she was a mother and her boys were not able to give her all they wanted to give because of her sadness and anger.

Because of her story I'm able to face this first motherless Mother's Day with a different attitude. I cannot change the fact that Mom is gone. But I can focus on my own precious children and enjoy my wonderful mother-in-law.

A year ago today (May 9), David and I preformed for a local church's coffee house. My Mom and Dad were both there, drank coffee and were our biggest fans. I loved having them there. This time last year, there had been a few months in a row when David and I had several concerts. May 9 was our last scheduled concert. I prayed and asked God why we didn't have any more "gigs" on our calendar. I didn't understand it at the time, but God knew something I didn't. We didn't know it that night by looking at Mom. She looked great and was interacting, truly enjoying herself. In 5 weeks and 2 days she would be gone.

Today, May 9, David and I have our first concert since that night at the coffee house. One year to the day. God knew I needed a year. He knew what He was doing not allowing us any new concerts. He knew.

He always knows. Recently I've been asking again for opportunities for David and for me too. In a matter of two days, we were asked for today's concert and for one next week.

Someone asked me yesterday, "Why pray?" It was the idea that all of us as believers have wrestled with at one time or another...why pray if a Sovereign God is going to do what He has planned? Certainly we prayed God would heal Mom...more than once, many times.

We pray because we are instructed to pray. Jesus even taught us how to pray. We also are given examples in Scriptures where God changed the "plan" because of prayers. I believe we pray too because the ultimate goal of God's heart is that we come to know Him in the prayers. We pray for situations in our lives...sicknesses, jobs, finances, etc. But I don't think it's about the situations. I believe it's about our coming to our Lord, praying in faith, believing, but also, yielding our desires to Him and coming into closer relationship with Him. He reveals Himself in these situations. He desires that we know Him and live to bring Him glory.

I am blessed. I am blessed to have had a fabulous Mother to remember at Mother's Day. I am blessed to have beautiful, healthy children to celebrate with daily. I am blessed above all else to have a God I trust who works all things together for my good.

2 comments:

Candice said...

I'm glad you had a good day and I'll pray that the Lord will guide you as you anticipate a ministry to women who have also lost their mothers!

Candice

StephenPaul said...

Caroline,

I'm sorry about you losing your mom. But you are focusing on the right things. More power to you. I hope I can do the same thing when my parents depart. They are precious. For now, I need to love and respect them. Mother Teresa said love must start in the home. It is easier to love someone far away than the unloved one in our own home.

Your dad was/is precious to me, especially in the TTU days. He was a real advocate for us students. And a very humble man!
Treasure him.

I live with my parents, and we have conflicts frequently. But they have a lot of wisdom, if I will just listen as they love me.

I like your blog. I'd like to start one myself one day.

God bless,

Steve Minton