Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Why tightly woven...?

So, the title of my blog...tightly woven. It just came to me and immediately made perfect sense. You see, Mom was a seamstress. Not just any seamstress, she was amazing, paying close attention to details and finishing seams. You should have seen my wedding dress which she and I designed and she made by hand-fabulous! She loved fabrics and would carefully choose them for each project. She had a bumper sticker up in her office that said, "Whoever dies with the most fabric wins." Funny, she would have won big time, but gave a ton of fabric to a project in Russia several years ago. Mom was so accomplished that she could throw a dress together in just a few hours. One time in college I needed a dress for a choir performance. She had a box of patterns and fabrics pre-cut. She sewed a dress for me in less than four hours that day so I could have it for the performance the next day. I loved that dress and wore it for years! Mom and I would go to the mall and she would shop not with her credit card but with her pen and paper. She and I would find dresses, skirts, tops, etc. that we liked then she would draw them off on her pad of paper noting the details. Then off we'd go to the fabric store to find a comparable pattern (she could tweak anything to make it work or just make it up) and fabric that would make it one of a kind!

Beyond Mom being a seamstress, I chose "tightly woven" because that describes how our family always was. We were close. We talked about everything, nothing too sacred or off limits. We were encouraged to talk and share and we listened to each other. She and Dad were tightly woven too...many people have looked to their marriage as the ideal. Certainly I did.

So now, without Mom, I remember and try to tightly weave my own little family much like she and Dad did. I realize this takes a balance of so many things...things like, love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).

I don't think I'll ever be the kind of seamstress Mom was, but I do hope to be the kind of wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend she was.

1 comment:

June said...

You may not be the seamstress, but you will be that kind of mother, daughter, sister, and niece!
So good to rememember those times---like you we both had good "sewing" mothers! So Leeanne got it honestly to draw off something and go home and copy it. I can't tell you how many times my mother would do that...when I was in high school it was very popular to wear the Lady Bug designs---they were too expensive-so she copied them...one in particular was a light blue dress with hand embrodery on the collar and cuffs ---she carried those pieces with her on one of Daddy's preaching trips to Nassau...I couldn't wait for her to get home, just to see if it was all finished...and yes it was and she finished the dress..I loved that dress. And when I think of all the Saturday nights she would make me something new to wear on Sunday--she could whip it up so fast-amazing--and always put a small pearl at the back of the dress at the neck...her signature! So we both have a great heritage and memories that others don't have--very special and blessed...and Gabriella will build her memory bank as the years go. And yes, we miss them both every day--but we will see them again--maybe we can have designer angel garb!